Our region is fortunate to have so many excellent resources for gardeners. The Cincinnati Horticultural Society would like to share some of our favorites.
- http://greatercincinnatiroseassociation.webs.com/ Greater Cincinnati Rose Association site contains information on GCRA meetings, and events, as well as information on growing, budding and showing roses
- http://cincinnatiorchids.org/ Greater Cincinnati Orchid Society. Events and information on growing and showing orchids.
- http://www.gchostas.info/ Hosta Society of Greater Cincinnati. Sources and information on basic to exotic hostas.
- http://midwestnativeplants.org/: Midwest Native Plant Society. Lists native plants for Midwestern landscapes.
- http://www.cincinnatiflowergrowers.org/ Cincinnati Flower Growers Association site has horticultural advice and plant recommendations.
- http://plantplaces.com The National Virtual Arboretum featuring a database of the best ornamental plants, region by region.
- http://cincinnatizoo.org/horticulture/ The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden. The Gardens section of their site gives information about the horticulture exhibits and lists many of their favorite plants in several categories.
- http://www.springgrove.org/events/arboretum.aspx Spring Grove Cemetery & Arboretum. Information on Champion trees, suggested plantings and much more. The Brochures link includes a broad range of Spring Grove’s plantings and the Resources link discusses tree pruning and fertilization
Parks & Organizations
- http://www.civicgardencenter.org/ The Civic Garden Center’s Hauck Botanic Garden has beautiful gardens and diverse educational programs
- http://www.cincinnatiparks.com/ Cincinnati Parks. Lists events and programs including at Krohn Conservatory. Also has maps of all the parks.
- www.gormanfarm.org/ Gorman Heritage Farm. Working farm and outdoor educational center.
Children & Gardening
- http://www.kidsgardening.org/ Kids Gardening. Programs and information on gardening with children
- http://www.greatparks.org/parks/glenwood-gardens/the-highfield-discovery-garden Highfield Discovery Garden/ Hamilton County Parks. Comprised of seven gardens for children to discover.
gardening-at-home-with-kids/This is a great site with lots of great activities for kids. Thanks to the bright students at Hawthorne Community Center for suggesting this site.
Universities and Government Agencies
- http://hamilton.osu.edu/ Ohio State University Extension Hamilton County. Ask an Expert online expert answers on a broad range of subjects. Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic identifies plant diseases, plant health problems, insects and insect related problems.
- http://www.hcswcd.org/ Hamilton County Soil & Water Conservation District. Request an education event, talk to a specialist or get a soil fertility test.
- http://www.hcdoes.org/ Hamilton County Environmental Services. Information on air quality and recycling.
- http://ofbf.org/counties/hamilton/ Hamilton County Farm Bureau. Educational programs and fun facts about agriculture.
- http://www.mastergardener.org/ Greater Cincinnati Master Gardener Association provides links to all the area Master Gardener programs.
- http://savelocalwaters.org/ Regional Storm Water Collaborative
Most comprehensive conservation website of Greater Cincinnati – upcoming events, current issues and jobs.
- http://www.hamilton-co.org/stormwater/ Hamilton County Storm Water District. Non-point source pollution prevention in storm water.
- http://www.css.msu.edu/SPNL/ Michigan State University Soil and Plant Nutrient Laboratory – Soil fertility testing
- http://plantfacts.osu.edu/ The Ohio State University Fact Sheets on all things plants.
Conservation & Environmental
- http://www.riverworksdiscovery.org/ RiverWorks Discovery. Events and educational programs exploring the role of rivers in our nation.
- Envirolink The largest online environmental link site
- Environmental Organization Web Contains links to hundreds of sites relating to agriculture, the environment & pollution.
- http://www.iwla.org/ Izaak Walton League. Advocacy for conservation and improving outdoor recreation.